Lead Pastor – Cornerstone Church
The lead pastor shall provide the primary leadership for Cornerstone Church. He will acknowledge that his work is enabled by the Holy Spirit, supported by prayer, guided by Scripture, and carried out in the name of Jesus Christ for the glory of God the Father. As a member of the Elder Board, and as an overseer/shepherd, he shall provide biblical direction and leadership so that members are built up in faith and maturity to become more like Christ.
The lead pastor shall demonstrate an authentic, God-centered life; passion for Jesus Christ; and a heart committed to sharing Christ with others. He shall maintain a healthy relationship with God that exemplifies a disciplined plan of personal worship, to include prayer, Bible study, and financial stewardship. He shall serve as a role model of one committed to conduct their private and public life with personal integrity, love, joy, humility, and holiness. We want our pastor to model healthy family priorities – he will make his family a priority.
His personal behavior shall be guided by 1 Timothy 3:1–7 and Titus 1:5–9.
Requirements and Qualifications
Areas of Accountability:
- Is accountable to the Lord through the leadership of the church.
- Is accountable to the membership to maintain a life in accordance with the scriptural standard of Elder.
- Answers to the Elders in the spiritual, ministry, and people concerns of the church. The lead pastor’s job performance will be annually reviewed by the Elder Board.
- Agrees with our Statement of Beliefs.
As Cornerstone’s Preacher:
- Is the main preacher on Sunday mornings and will strive to effectively engage the congregation in God’s word.
- Takes responsibility for the pulpit, along with the Elders.
- Officiates at weddings, funerals that take place and also administers baptisms, as well as the dedication of children.
As Cornerstone’s Leader:
- As chairman or in close consultation with the chairman, prepares agendas and leads/assists in leading the Elder meetings/prayer time.
- Discerns and gives direction for the overall vision of Cornerstone.
- Takes primary responsibility in areas where problems, issues, and conflicts cannot be resolved at lower levels.
- Represents the church in matters of business and community.
- Maintains the church membership roster and is also responsible for education of those interested in church membership.
- Supervises all staff and monitors that they remain on task and accountable.
- Oversees the staff’s work schedules, goal-setting, and personal development.
- Makes the development of leaders, paid staff and volunteer, a top priority.
- Hires and dismisses staff, in partnership with Elders.
- Encourages and motivates the congregation to share the Gospel.
- Is personally engaged in small group(s) for the purpose of discipleship.
- Is involved in one-on-one discipleship.
- Is involved in discipleship as it takes place in pre-marriage/marriage counseling sessions.
- Is available to regular church attendees for initial spiritual counsel. More in-depth counseling can be provided if determined appropriate.
Region and Association:
- Represents Cornerstone at NAB functions.
- Available to participate in projects locally and overseas.
- Serves as an active member of the larger church of western New York.