Pastor – First Baptist Church of Eureka
First Baptist is a small, dedicated congregation with an average attendance of 30 on Sundays. We seek to be a loving, friendly, and welcoming community that worships God and serves others. We place a high priority on teaching from the Bible and following the example of Jesus. Our church was founded in 1886 by German Baptist immigrants and has continued to serve God faithfully in the church, the Eureka area, and the wider North American Baptist Conference. Our church is debt-free, which is a great blessing. Our church members are mostly older, conservative Christians who have followed the Lord for years and provide stability and continuity but who cherish the children in our flock and the joy and energy they bring to us.
The prayer of our congregation is to connect with the man God has called to serve with us who will lovingly and faithfully lead the church in weekly preaching, teaching, prayer, and leadership in all spiritual matters of the church to help us grow in faith. We hope to find someone who enjoys living in a small, rural, Midwest, agricultural community, who understands the joys and challenges of ministering to a small congregation, and who will engage the wider community beyond the church. We look forward to partnering with you in your ministry.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Meets the qualifications of an elder as identified in 1 Timothy 3:1–7, Titus 1:5–9, and 1 Peter 5:1–9.
- Has a clear testimony of having trusted Jesus Christ as personal Savior and of a call to the ministry.
- Agrees with the doctrines of the NAB Statement of Beliefs and Pastoral Code of Ethics and Practices and will adhere to the Eureka First Baptist Constitution.
- Is an ordained NAB Baptist minister, is eligible for ordination based upon NAB Conference guidelines, or is working toward that goal, as approved by the church.
- Preferably has full-time ministry experience, but those recently called to ministry will also be considered.
- Has a vibrant, faithful prayer life, practices ongoing personal spiritual development, and models both for the congregation.
- Plan and conduct the weekly Sunday worship services; prepare and deliver clear, relevant sermons that communicate God’s inerrant, infallible, and inspired Word.
- Disciple members by leading or teaching Bible studies and Sunday school, as called upon.
- Lead in the observance of the church ordinances, namely believer’s baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- Conduct weddings, funerals, child dedications, and confidential counseling sessions.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all boards and committees and work with the deacons, church officers, and committees as they perform their assigned duties.
- Shepherd the congregation in a personal way through visiting members and prospective members, visiting the sick, and regularly visiting members who are in a nursing home or home-bound and are unable to attend church, offering the Lord’s Supper to them.
- Have a heart for evangelism and be active and effective in sharing Christ with seekers, doubters, and the unchurched.
- Become an active member of the Eureka Ministerial Association and the area Baptist Pastoral Cluster.
- Endeavor to attend the North Central Association gatherings, Northern Plains Region meetings, and the NAB Triennial Conference.
- Engage in the wider community outside the church, interacting with people from the Eureka area, taking part in inter-church and community activities, and representing Jesus Christ and the church in a friendly, caring manner.
- Perform the church’s administrative duties, including weekly bulletins, monthly calendar, annual report, membership roster, correspondence, etc.
Our previous pastor retired after faithfully serving the congregation for nearly twenty years. An interim lay minister is currently serving the church during the transition process.
Eureka is a community of 800, located around a beautiful lake in north central South Dakota, with a new pre-K–12 school, a new medical campus, and excellent recreation facilities. It is a safe, clean community with a wonderful small-town atmosphere emphasizing family and faith. A well-maintained three-bedroom parsonage is included with the pastor’s compensation. Salary and benefits are to be determined based on experience and qualifications.
We are receiving applications until July 1, 2020.
PO Box 246 408 8th Street Eureka, South Dakota 57437
Date Posted: April 15, 2020
Job Type: Pastor