Senior Pastor – Faith Baptist Church Vernon
- Direct oversight of the spiritual welfare of the church and, in conjunction with the deacons, organize and develop its strength for the best possible service
- Provide general oversight of the administration of the church office and staff to see proper communication and flow of ministry
- Be available for meeting with people and/or counseling during office hours or by appointment
- As the shepherd of the flock, arrange for and conduct all public and regular services of the church, Bible studies, and prayer groups and perform the various duties incumbent on his office
- Administer the ordinances of the Gospel and publicly extend to new members the right hand of fellowship on behalf of the church
- Serve as ex-officio member on all boards and committees of church organizations to encourage and help provide direction
- Perform visitation as required and/or requested – especially for the sick in hospital/home and specialized needs
- Provide leadership development and discipleship training – being trained, selecting candidates, encouraging, and providing ongoing development
Requirements and Qualifications
The Senior Pastor shall:
- Be a qualified minister, born-again believer, and preacher of the foundational doctrines of our faith according to our Statement of Beliefs as set out in the Faith Baptist Church Constitution
- Be a graduate from a recognized biblical training institute
- Have the very important ability to relate to all age groups (especially with seniors)
Situated in the heart of the community of Vernon, British Columbia, Faith Baptist Church provides spiritual nurturing and growth to approximately 100 to 120 members and attendees. The church is affiliated with the North American Baptist Conference and the British Columbia Baptist Association.
Established in 1951 by German immigrants, Faith Baptist has been meeting the needs of the community and its members in many diverse ways over the years. In the early 1990s, the church went through a building program to accommodate the growing needs of the congregation. In the early 2000s, we were blessed to be able to retire our mortgage debt, resulting in funds for missions and ongoing ministries.
Though traditional in its style of worship, Faith Baptist Church’s statement of purpose has remained firm and continues to attract those who seek a deep, firm, and growing relationship with their heavenly Father. We believe the purpose of the church is advancement of the kingdom of Jesus Christ. We seek to obtain this through the public worship of God, the preaching of the gospel, consistent Christian living by our members, personal evangelism, missionary endeavor, and Christian education.
Faith Baptist has always been a generous and caring community of believers who actively reach out to missions, both foreign and community based. As well as the usual support of missionaries within the NAB, we also support the ongoing work of a local pastorate in the Sonora River Valley of Mexico. Faith Baptist also provides daily healthy snacks at a local elementary school and a daily breakfast and weekly lunch program at a local high school.
Vernon is a popular community for retirees, thus we have a high percentage of seniors in our congregation. This opens the opportunity for a seniors ministry, as there are several care and retirement centers in Vernon.
Over the years, we have struggled with a lack of individuals to assume leadership roles. We have a low percentage of members within the 35 to 60 age group within the church body. Much work is still needed to continue to grow and encourage discipleship and leadership training among all ages and levels of maturity, which has become one of our much needed priorities at present.